12/2/10

Jane Eyre Chapters 1-4

After a few nights of marathon reading, I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire yesterday. Loved it! Some of you may know that I’m one to read more than one book at a time, in case I’m in the mood for a memoir one night, and a thriller the next. I just have the third book in the Stieg Larsson trilogy to finish, but I’m going to postpone it so I can completely dedicate myself to our first book club selection!

I read the first four chapters of Jane Eyre last night. So far so good! As far as first impressions, I like Jane already, really don’t like John or Mrs. Reed, and am kind of irritated with Bessie for not being a true nurturer or confidant to Jane until her last night in the Gateshead house. I’m a little worried about this school Jane is being sent to, and wish Mr. Brocklehurst didn’t have this preconceived notion that Jane is a bad seed. We shall see...

Early prediction: John Reed is going to grow up to be a serial killer.

PS-I am very pleased with the copy of the book I’m reading. As Britt and I learned on our trip to Borders, there were several copies to choose from. I’m reading my Nana’s copy, that has footnotes on every few pages or so, translating key words and phrases. For instance, did you all know that “fagging” means “performing wearying labor.” I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment